Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Wish List: Top 10 G4 Ponies

G1 | G2 | G3 | G4


G4 (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic) is probably the strangest series of ponies for me to make and maintain a top 10 list for, because at least 50% of the ponies released are actually re-releases of the mane six. I love the show and I love the mane six, but much like with my doll collections, repeat characters have to be really special for me to want to buy them. My shelf space is very limited and I just don't have the room.

For the purposes of this list, I will be talking about regular, fashion style, funko and pop ponies. If I get into blind bags or plushies, I'll give them their own page. Why the distinction? I love fashion style ponies from an art perspective and they are one of the things which may lead to character duplication. My primary ponies of choice are the standard sized "brushable" pony. If I can't get a character in brushable form (here's lookin' at you, Big Mac) I will look at Funko or POP ponies. And since I'm creative I'm likely to own a few POP ponies--though not at the expense of having their regular "brushable" version if such a thing exists for a reasonable price.

I'm sure this list will get changed a lot as things get purchased, but I figured it would be fun to brainstorm what my top ten most wanted MLP G4 things are.


10. Diamond Mint & Rarity Water Cuties


I can't resist Diamond Mint. Her colors are totally stunning and of all the Water Cutie releases, this style really does suit her best. I hope I won't have too much trouble finding her, as I've heard others have found that a challenge.


And of course I have to get Rarity! I collect her and Fluttershy since they are my two favorite ponies on the show. Plus, she looks so elegant and glamorous as a Water Cutie. She isn't quite as striking as Diamond Mint, but she has the fact that she is Rarity going for her and the fact that she's a naturally white Unicorn and together those things make this release pretty unique. (She actually looks like she's made from a gem.)

09. Pinkie Pie's Sweet Shop Bakery (POP Playset)


This thing is completely customizable and completely adorable--how can I resist? From what I've seen from YouTube video reviews, it works well with POP ponies and regular 3 inch ponies so it seems like it should be perfect for my purposes.

08. Sunset Shimmer


I'm not madly in love with Equestria Girls like I am with Monster High, Ever After High and (hopefully when they release) Disney Descendants. But Sunset Shimmer bears some resemblance to Sarena (red-blond hair, blue eyes, fiery personality) and her color scheme is lovely so I can't resist adding her to my collection. I hope I can get the Cutie Mark Magic version or the one with the color gradient on her legs.

07. Glamour Glow Rarity


What, did you think I wasn't gonna list this? XD I need this in my life yesterday! And if I don't get it for a good price this weekend, you can bet I'll be shipping it to Jay's house. Glamour Glow Rarity is GORGEOUS and deserves a place of honor on my dresser once I clean it. (Shoo, you pesky Skylanders. You're so 2013...)

06. Princess Luna 


After her totally awesome Hallowe'en themed episode, how could I not want a figure of Princess Luna? My heart really went out to her as she tried to redeem herself to the citizens of Ponyville and I love how the episode resolved. So onto the list she goes. I'd prefer a normal version of her, but will take the Water Cutie one if I must. This version, which also comes with a regular sized Rarity, would suit my needs well.

05. Princess Celestia


The grand ruler of all Equestria... How could my collection be complete without her?! There are tons of versions of Celestia for me to choose from. Primarily I want one that is the same size as whatever Luna I buy. This version with Twilight and Spike is pretty cool, though I'm not sure if I'm digging the pink. (Isn't she suppose to be white?) But I -nned- a Spike. How can I have a Rarity collection without Spike?!

04. Big Macintosh Funko Pop


It breaks my heart that there isn't a proper Big Mac brushable. But considering what Hasbro has done with Shining Armor, this isn't a total loss. (Uh, Hasbro? Why the underlying message that boys are treasure trolls? *is confused*) Anyway, the Big Mac Funko is a gorgeous figure anyway, and from what I undersand he;s actually a size that will fit in with the rest of my ponies. Plus, I'm use to molded hair on male dolls (Ken, Deuce Gorgon, etc.) so it's really not the end of the world. Though getting custom Big Mac and Shining Armor done may eventually be on my to-do list. We shall see how deep I get into this pony thing.

03. The Cutie Mark Crusaders


I have their Doodle Book... How could I not want their figures? I think that the parallel between the CMC and the Mane 6 is one of the most genius things in the show. I think it helps bridge the gap between the adult ponies and what it's like to be a pony 'child', a brilliant concept for a show aimed at actual children. I also appreciate that the writers do not dumb the CMC down while doing this. There is lots to learn from their adventures, regardless of one's age. This wedding set I have posted would be a lovely choice since I'd get all 3 plus cute little bouquets.

02. Cadance and Shining Armor


I am a romance writer. I haven't even SEEN the wedding 2 parter yet and I already want these two both as brushables and as their upcoming Funko pop versions. There are two ways I can see myself getting these guys: either as part of TRUs collectible set, or with their huge, totally adorable castle. Either way I win, so ultimately it depends what I can most easily and affordably find.

01. Standard Size Versions of the Mane Six


Rarity:
They forgot to make me?!
This is the worst. Thing. Ever!
My love of ponies started with a love of Friendship is Magic, so it only stands to reason that I need a complete set of the mane six as one of the core pieces of my collection. I'm quite fond of the Cutie Mark Magic set, but it doesn't have a proper Rarity. (Possibly because they did her as Glamour Glow and a Water Cutie?) I'm also in love with the Royal Ball at Canterlot Castle set, but it's a discontinued Target exclusive that's going for double it's MSRP on Amazon.com . It will be interesting to see how I get my mane six ponies as my collection grows.


These are things that are more expensive than I would normally be willing to pay for a collectible piece. The fact that they are here means I definitely want them, and if I see them for a good price you can be sure I'll jump on it.

Fluttershy & Discord Statue


This is just too cute! I love the contrast between these characters' personalities and I'm fascinated to see how their friendship will form. I can't believe this is even a thing, really. XD It's one of those things where I need it on principle, even though I haven't seen what caused it. Redemption and the power of kindness is a concept I've worked with as a writer for years. Way to go, MLP, for tackling it.

Blossomforth


I am a total sucker for white ponies with pink and green details. I don't exactly know why I love them; I just know I find them gorgeous and I love that color combination. So of course, if I'm collecting G4 with any level of seriousness I want it's gorgeous green, white and pink pony. How can I resist? Plus that cute wagon and little friend? Aww!

No comments:

Post a Comment